Mold may be one of the funniest Halloween costumes we’ve seen lately, but it is no joke when it comes to your home or business. Mold can be dangerous and if you find it growing in your home it is something that needs to be removed immediately.
Mold is a living organism that belongs to the fungi family (like mushrooms, yeast, and even some cheeses like blue cheese).
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) mold can grow on virtually any organic material as long as moisture and oxygen are present. There are molds that grow on wood, paper, carpet, food, and insulation. Because mold eats or digests what it is growing on, it can damage a building and its furnishings. If left unchecked, mold eventually can cause structural damage to building materials.
10 Places to Watch for Mold Growth in Your Home:
- Basements or cellars that have been flooded
- Underneath kitchen sinks
- Underneath or behind refrigerators
- Bathroom shower or under your sinks
- Behind walls that also house plumbing
- Stacks of damp or wet newspaper or cardboard boxes
- Around air-conditioning units
- Wallboard or around windows that leak
- Under carpeting that may have become wet
- Attics & Crawl Spaces
You can prevent damage to your home and its contents, save money, and avoid potential health problems by controlling moisture and eliminating mold growth.
Reminder: With any type of water damage in the home drying the affected areas within three days or less will help prevent the growth of toxic mold. Call now to get started.