How to Prevent Expensive Water Damage in Your Home
We hear about homes being damaged by floods, especially this time of year from natural disasters, but water damage from plumbing systems, washing machines and broken pipes also effect many homeowners every year. Protect your home with regular maintenance to avoid these common causes of water damage.
Here are some of the top causes of home water damage:
- Broken pipes & hoses – Check your pipes or have your local plumber inspect your plumbing/pipes to avoid a burst water main and to determine the age of the pipes. Do they need to be replaced with PVC? Slab leaks are particularly damaging and hard to spot, so call a plumber if you ever see your water bill suddenly skyrocket.
- Water Heater Failure: Check the manufacturers warranty. It is usually around the end of the warranty when you may experience problems with your water heater leaking and even the tank bursting. Best advice is to have your local plumber inspect the water heater every two years, then each year after the warranty expires to avoid any problems that could occur.
- Washing Machine Failure: Many washing machine flooding and water damage issues are linked to rubber hose failures. If you don’t already have them buy the metal braided washing machine lines. Then, inspect the supply hose at least once a year and replace it every three to five years with reinforced hoses.
- Toilet Failure: If a toilet overflows, or looks like it is about to, turn off the supply valve. If you have repeated toilet overflows, it’s time to call a plumber and have it checked out. It could be tree routes clogging the pipes or many other issues.
- Sewer back up – Never pleasant! Again, this may very likely be caused by tree roots invading and clogging drain lines. Home Depot and Lowes both sell “enzyme” drain treatments that can be flushed on a monthly basis during Spring and Summer months when tree roots grow most prolifically.
- Flash flooding – While this isn’t one of the most common forms of water intrusion in the home, here in Southern California we do have many flash flood zones such as in Palm Springs and the desert areas. It isn’t always easy to be prepared for this or any type of natural disaster, so it’s important to review your homeowners insurance policy to make sure you are covered for these types of situations.
Reminder: With any type of water damage in the home drying the affected areas within three days or less will help prevent the growth of toxic mold.
We hope you never have to experience water damage in your home, but if it does please call contact Wes Harris of TSC Restoration at 619-596-3888.
We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. With TSC Restoration “one call does it all.” You receive complete service for your emergency with one phone call and 24-hour emergency phone service. We take pride in our work and will give you a FREE estimate up front. We work with all insurance companies so the process is easy. Just call .